Boys and Girls Club logo

The Paris Fire Department gave the Paris Boy’s and Girl’s Club the all clear to re-enter its building after a gas leak scare Friday afternoon. 

Unit director Katrina Mitchell said they smelled gas in the building and evacuated the children as a safety measure. Mitchell posted to the club’s Facebook page, requesting parents to come pick their children up at the sports fields behind the building. 

Paris firefighters and Atmos Energy responded to the call. An Atmos Energy serviceman investigated the building and turned off the gas. Mitchell said they were told there was no danger, and the fire department cleared the staff and children to go back into the building around 4 p.m. 

Macon Atkinson is a staff writer for The Paris News. She can be reached at 903-785-6963 or

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.