The Texas Railroad Commission serves as the state regulatory agency for the oil and gas industry, natural gas utilities, intrastate pipelines and surface mining operations.

Government agencies, like humans, become less flexible with age. Established in 1891, the Texas Railroad Commission is the oldest agency in Texas. In the case of Luminant and Sulphur Springs, it appears to be applying a strict “letter of the law” interpretation of regulations rather than a reasonable common sense approach.

Luminant wants to gift nearly 5,000 acres of land in Hopkins County to the City of Sulphur Springs where it excavated over 2 million cubic yards of soil to mine the coal below. The City Council already unanimously agreed to accept the property.

Luminant has restored over 80% of the land to its former state to comply with Texas Railroad Commission regulations. To reclaim the remaining 20% would eliminate a lake created by the excavation along with a 120-foot tall mound of soil. The city wants to keep both and develop them for recreational use.

Texas Railroad Commission says the mound contains heavy metals that produce acid when contacted by rain and the acid has contaminated the lake. Luminant’s operations didn’t add anything to the soil, but simply exposed minerals already present in the soil. Luminant proposed to cover the mound with 4 feet of topsoil, seed or sod it over and adjust the pH of the lake to non-acidic levels.

Critics claim Luminant doesn’t want to spend the $4 million to remove the mound because it would only net $14 million of the bond held by the RRC. However, if they spend the $4 million and sell the property, it’s estimated they would net $21 million.

As Ronald Reagan said “In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.”

Chris Dux is chairman of the Lamar County Republican Party. He can be emailed at chris@usdux.com. Party Views publishes every other Sunday.

Recommended for you

(2) comments

Art Anderson

Hey Sulfur Springs, look out for the Texas Railroad Commission, a soly owned subsidiary of Dirty Industry. Commissioner Christi Craddick received 2.8 million dollars in campaign contributions from industries she regulates. Her lackey, Ryan Sitton, took in more than $700,000 since taking office in 2015. The polluter love her. It's much cheaper for them to pay off commissioners than to fix rampant pollution.

Watch the Sunset Commission hearings where Craddick and Sitton repeatedly denied that any Texas well water had ever been polluted by oil and gas. Then she finally admitted that the Railroad Commission knew that a water well in Chasewood Community was polluted by oil and gas but said that they are not legally (or even morally) bound to inform local residents whose health was compromised. Forty cancer deaths centered around this polluted well. https://www.facebook.com/LiveableArlington/videos/1846013632347019/

[alien]

KimFeilGood

Instead of properly cleaning this brownfield up, they propose covering up an old coal mine with four inches of dirt and turning into a public park and a music stadium. Now the RR Commission apparently thinks it's a great idea?

This article gives us another attempt to bash the RRC for the lousy regulators they really are!

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.