Detroit High School football

Detroit Eagles running back Joel Hinson (8) breaks through a defender’s tackle in a previous game at Clarksville.

MOUNT PLEASANT — The Detroit Eagles couldn’t have asked for a better start to Thursday night’s bi-district game with the Cumby Trojans. Detroit jumped out to a 24–0 lead after the first quarter and then were able to hold on late for a 50–42 victory.

After Cumby won the coin toss and elected to receive, the Eagles kicked a surprise onside kick and recovered the ball near midfield. It only took two plays for them to take advantage, too. Joel Hinson took the handoff from quarterback Miles Davis and scampered 43 yards for the score. It was the first of five touchdowns scored by Hinson. It also was a sign of things to come as Hinson torched the Trojan defense for 323 yards on the ground.

That two-play drive was the first of seven touchdown drives by the Eagles. Only two of those drives went longer than five plays. On the other side of the ball, Cumby scored six touchdowns with none of them lasting more than five plays.

After scoring on their first drive, the Eagles defense held Cumby to a three-and-out on their first possession and stopped them on a fourth down play on their second possession. With just under three minutes left in the first quarter, Hinson scored again for the Eagles. After a second consecutive two-point conversion, Detroit was up 16–0, but they weren’t done.

On the next play from Cumby, quarterback Cameron Scott was intercepted by Mark Huff, giving Detroit the ball at midfield. With less than a minute to play in the quarter, Hinson tacked on a third touchdown, this time from 17 yards out. By the time the horn sounded, Detroit had a 24–0 lead over Cumby.

It didn’t take Cumby long to respond, though. On the first play of the second quarter, Scott hit Max Wippler for a 51-yard touchdown strike. The Eagles next possession ended with a blocked punt and Cumby taking over inside the 15 yard line. Two plays later and they scored again.

Detroit answered the bell, though. This time it was Miles Davis getting into the action. His 48-yard touchdown pass to Hunter Crutchfield was the first of two in the game. For the game, Davis was eight of 15 for 150 yards and two scores. Add that to Hinson’s 323 and it makes for an explosive offensive performance.

The score remained 32–14 until midway through the third quarter. That’s when the Eagles found the end zone again. Davis would get his second throwing touchdown when he found Mark Huff from 21 yards out. The route was on, except someone forgot to tell Cumby.

Cumby would score twice more, the second coming with 10 minutes left on the clock in the fourth quarter. Over the next 40 seconds, both teams would score another touchdown. On the first play of the next drive, Hinson would score from 47 yards out to put the Eagles up 44–26. On the first play of Cumby’s drive, Scott would hit his receiver for a 44 yard strike.

Detroit did exactly what they needed to on the next drive. Detroit went on a 13-play drive that took over six minutes off the clock, ending in an 11-yard score from Hinson. Cumby would get the ball back and score one more time, however, they were not able to recover the onside kick attempt. Detroit ran out the clock and pushed themselves into the area round of the playoffs next weekend.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.