Ward's fire 2

Firefighters investigate the fire at Ward's Restaurant Tuesday morning. The city fire marshal has ruled the incident accidental. 

City Fire Marshal Clyde Crews said Tuesday a blaze at Ward’s Restaurant was caused by an accidental grease fire, and his investigation has been closed.

Firefighters at the scene Tuesday morning said they responded to the call that the Clarksville Street business was on fire around 6:30 a.m., and they found flames coming out of the diner’s roof. Restaurant staff helped to get customers and employees to safety without injury.

Gary Ward, brother of the diner’s owner, said the restaurant will likely be closed “for a long time” for repairs.

Macon Atkinson is a staff writer for The Paris News. She can be reached at 903-785-6963 or macon.atkinson@theparisnews.com.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.